Saturday, January 15, 2011

Promises

As I sit here in front of my computer, fingers on the keyboard, I'm  not completely sure of what I want to say.  Relationships can be difficult.  Not soley romantic relationships, but friendships too.  There are so many things that can turn a relationship from a perfect one into a disastrous one.  So many things can change that affect how one person feels about another.  Their ideas, their opinions, their taste, their humor, their appearance, their attitude, their motivation, their goals, and so much more.  Besides the things that ARE in our control to keep a relationship happy and healthy, there are outside factors too. 

It seems to me that many people make promises in the early stages of relationships that they are unable to keep.  Some of those things are tiny things like "I promise I will never curse at you", or "I promise I will always give you a massage when you are aching".  However, some promises are almost impossible, and with the exception of  a select few, laughable.  Promises like "I will never hurt you" or "I am going to marry you one day".  Intentional or not, everyone gets hurt one way or another.  Promising someone that you will never hurt them is not only a let down once you are hurt, but it is also a lie. And an obvious one at that.  Now, it seems to me that promising someone you will marry them is even more dangerous and it makes you even more susceptible to heart break.  I have only been in two relationships my entire life and both have had talks of a future together.  I have never had such strong feelings of respect and love than I have with Adam.  And  although I love the feeling of being in love and having someone to share all of your thoughts and desires with, or even just having someone to hold your hand, it is scary knowing how easily a promise like that is made and how easily it can be broken and taken away all in the matter of a minute.  Maybe it is because I have been hurt in the past, or maybe it is because I am a little insecure and untrusting.  But sometimes I can't help but think that guys shouldn't promise you a future like that unless they have a ring ready.  There is so much room for error...so many unexpectd twists and turns that life can bring...so many things that have not been taken into account.

But no matter how scary it may be, it is always exciting to picture the future you've always wanted for yourself, knowing that you have it and are holding it in your arms.  Things like these are a leap of faith, but they are usually worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment